For a safe, fun, and tasty family activity, nothing beats making homemade ice cream. It is a great way to bring everyone together and help create something that everyone can enjoy. Ice cream machines can be purchased for home use and they are a must have small kitchen appliance for any one who loves to indulge in delicious frozen treats. Over time they can be a huge money saver as well.
Top Ice Cream Makers
Whether you want an old fashioned model that uses ice and salt or you want a modern machine that handles everything for you with the push of a button, there are plenty of high quality models to choose from. After going through some of the top reviews it is clear to see that you do not have to break the bank to get a quality machine. Today’s ice cream machines are also capable of making frozen yogurt, sorbets, gelato and much more.
We are currently using the Breville Smart Scoop home ice cream machine and we absolutely love it. We love Breville products and this machine was a bit on the expensive side, but for us it was well worth the money. With a fancy led screen and having its own compressor gives up the ultimate modern convenience to satisfy our dessert cravings whenever they occur.
Overall though, these frozen treat makers are quite affordable. Once you buy a new machine it can be quite fun to experiment with all of the different flavors and ingredient combinations that are available. Below are just two examples to help you start your quest to making homemade ice cream.
Eggless Strawberry Ice Cream
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour
• 2 drops of red food coloring
• 2 cups of mashed fresh strawberries
• 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup of white sugar
• 2 cups of heavy cream
• 2 cups of whole milk
1. Combine food coloring, strawberries, vanilla, salt, sugar, cream and milk in a large bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze for a duration of 1 hour as directed by the manufacturer.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 9 hours
• 1/2 cup of coarsely crushed graham crackers
• 1/3 cup of key lime juice
• 1 teaspoon of Key lime zest
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 cup cream
• 2 cups of reduced fat milk
• 1/8 teaspoon of salt
• 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
• 1/2 cup of granular sweetener for ice cream
1. In a large heavy saucepan, whisk together salt, cornstarch and granular sweetener for ice cream. Add milk and cream then whisk. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat
2. Add egg yolk and whisk until slightly thickened
3. Into a bowl, pour the mixture through a wire mesh strainer. Put the mixture into a refrigerator and let it cool for about 1 hour.
4. Pour the mixture into a home ice cream maker machine and freeze according to the directions provided by the manufacturer. Stir in Key lime zest, crushed graham crackers and key lime juice. Let the ice cream stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.
Getting your own machine is indeed something that the entire family can take advantage of. With today’s ice cream makers there does not have to be a lot of work involved to produce a decadent frozen treat. If your kitchen does not have one of these appliances, then you do not know what your missing, especially for those with kids. Some of the best rated home ice cream makers in 2019 are also relatively inexpensive. This is a great investment for family fun in the kitchen.
The great thing about these appliances is that there are countless recipes that you can try at home. Here is an added video recipe to help you make delicious mint chocolate chip ice cream.